Generative Drawing/ Experimenting in Graphics and Motions.

Motion 1

April 2016

Prints and videos

Experimenting with graphics motion, I have found a profound interest in distortion and the discovery of unexpected beauty through design and motion; the use of painting through motion came after a series of studies of texture such as paintings, skins and flowers on motions and identifying elements on them, which show a good aspect of forms in motion.

Applying Van Gogh’s became thought-provoking accidentally after under going these studies and later on became the primal source of textures for this motions; as I thought on how good it applied and perform to my work as the profound strokes in his painting really stood up on the motions and also how the motions play with Van Gogh painting which I think of have a flow of their own considering all this I could stop to feel as appropriating and some how mocking and yet not guilt as I only really appropriated Images of the internet; contemplating this led to thinking to today’s cyber culture and how some of us use the Internet more specifically how people take and comment online, freedom of speech has become way to give destructive comments anonymously yet this I thought is very electrically reliant, this induce me explore this aspect of reliant on energy and how I could use this.

A very insightful artist call Joseph Nechvatal work on computer Virus really became inspirational as he work on slowly decaying visuals and prints. He influence a lot on lay out of my work where I had motions running for only a battery life per day in in order to some how let go of this reliance on energy in some for of archive, for the viewers which did not see my running motion I thought of leaving them with some what of an idea of what was happening on the screens therefore I created prints; Prints which I thought of portraying as some like movie poster; because they would came closer to the propose, which was to showcase the motion. Next I thought on what this prints/poster should look like, which became clear after looking at the motion. Keeping in mind why I wanted to make these prints, I thought of showing fragments of the motion on them; to showcase I took screenshots of the motions but not in a recurring stage because by doing so I thought there would be a clash with the whole idea of displaying motion which is why I made each print from random screenshots.

In conclusion I want to reflect on what I achieved, from the original trigger that lead me to start with this project a video on “Experiment in motion Graphics” by John Whitney 1917-1885 I really when my own way as I first was experimenting with linear generative drawing and I was not pleased with what I was producing. I still think I accomplice some of what John Whitney set the future generation do in computational arts the in terms of producing drawing being computationally generated.

Motion 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh6jhkgTLTs&feature=youtu.be

Motion 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVW4BzhHs8&feature=youtu.be

Motion 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Ny4wCaaWg&feature=youtu.be

Reference

1. windOw sphincter, 2009 Joseph Nechvatal
  1. Retinal redux, 2009 Joseph Nechvatal
  1. Computer Virus Project 2.0, 1992 Joseph Nechvatal
  1. Experiments in motion graphics, 1917-1995 John Whiney

Code

Motion 1

Motion 2

Motion 3