Amrazhussain-Yr1

Creative Projects One:  Digital Arts Computing

Project description: The project was intended to make people ask questions on the topic at hand, what I did was take a sport like skateboarding which has a massive culture within the youth and created it into a piece of art, but was it really art? The final art work I had presented was of several sequenced images of a skater whom I photographed. the sequence contains the original image and then several other images of the original edited by using generated art to create a background.

Documentation on the intended audience / intended outcomes / background research: The intended audience that I wanted to engage my project with was the 19+ age range, mainly because at that age you understand the skateboard culture allot more and then progressing with age you are more engaged with society, culture and art so it would ask many questions. The intended outcomes were just to engage the audience and make the discuss the topic. The background research I had done was mostly with the skaters I had taken images of, I asked questions regarding whether art has an influence the new skateboarding era, also if fashion influences how skateboarders dress. The reaction to all of these questions where quite positive allot of skateboarders are heavily influenced by fashion, art as they all believe it ties in with one another.

Images/links to video of your work in the gallery:image1 image2 image3 image4 Video

Documentation of your creative process, aesthetic choices – the thought behind your
decisions: My creative process on choosing a project firstly was hard, finding a topic or subject which I wanted to go into was very confusing as their was many. Skateboarding had come into my mind as I actually skate myself, and had then thought about how I could combine this with the project at hand by making sure that I could hit all requirements. I then thought about the culture that surrounds skateboarding and how it has changed throughout the years, and how skateboarding has influenced fashion, aswell as art. I had to think about how I wanted to present my work making sure it looked good and how I wanted it aesthetically, I did this by choosing the right image to use a template of what I wanted to start with but it just wasn’t the images, the actual generative art was a massive part of the design so making sure that the code was right was a big part of the process of the project, my decisions on made on what images, colours and the actual presentation of it all is based on how the audience would view it making sure the question was still clear after viewing the project.

A commentary on your build including problems you encountered and how you solved them: I started off the actual images the plan that I wanted to follow was that the image itself of the skater would be edited using the generative art code I had produced, and it would be an interactive piece as the code would be on repeat so the pattern made onto the skater would always be changing colour, This as a task was found harder to do as I did not have the timescale to do it within due to laptop problems. This issue had then led me to thinking of alternatives ideas, I then had the idea to create the background into an interactive piece and then the skateboarder would be added into the code as an image, again with the same issue I could not do the two within the time scale I had left after many trials and errors of doing so, I had finally came to the conclusion that I was on the right path but instead of making the back ground interactive I could create an illusion that it was. What I then did was code two different generative art pieces and then had to Photoshop the image of the skateboarder onto them separately. I then coded a sequencer so that the images would flicker between each other in quick succession onto the screen making my final art piece, then  what I had to do was make sure that I could project the sequence onto a suitable backdrop as the gallery space that I had was in a dark room so the lightening had to be correct so that the projection was visible, once the actual day for the practical aspects of the project to be set, e.g. putting the backdrops up, making sure projectors are correct ETC, it was then we would find out what works, but everything did go to plan and no errors were made during this part of the project.

An evaluation of your project. (How successful it was and how you know this.): Overall my project was not what I wanted it to be or how I wanted to express my topic/subject into a real life project, but it helped me overall gain more experience in coding and it gave me a good insight to how galleries and project planning works which was a good point about the experience.